July 9, 2010

What the Flip Flop (Cake)!

It's summer time so I had to create a cake to celebrate the occasion. A flip flop cake. I baked a 2 layer white cake and decorated it with buttercream icing and fondant.

I baked the cake in a two 9"x13" pan, spread frosting on the top of one and placed the other on top. I took an 8"x11" sheet of paper, folded it in half and using free hand, drew the shape of my flip flops. I then cut it out and I now had two cut outs --- one right, one left. Side by side, I placed them on the top of my cake, and cut out the shape with a knife.

I then wrapped them and put them in the freezer. While waiting for the cakes to freeze, I cut four strips of fondant and flowers. The four strips were placed over a rolling pin, so it would dry in a curved formations. These would act as the thong part of the sandal. I took them out hours later and applied a crumb coat on each shoe. I continued to apply more buttercream icing in bright summer colours.

They were really fun to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment