December 17, 2009

Lindt Chocolate Outlet

Well my Christmas Chocolates were a hit. I made a tray of 75 treats, and they all disappeared! I am very excited.

I decided to look into purchasing some Couveture Chocolate. I visited the Lindt Chocolate Outlet in Scarborough, Ontario. I am not too sure when I will use the Couveture, but I bought it to keep it on hand when I am ready.

So what is so special about Couveture Chocolate?

Couverture chocolate is a special form of chocolate used by chocolate manufacturers and professional bakers. It is richer and creamier than basic bar or eating chocolate, with a very high cocoa butter content which makes it ideal for things like molding, coating, and dipping. and they also use it to cover truffles, chocolate garnishes, coat fruit, and perform a variety of other tasks. The higher percentage of cocoa butter, combined with the processing, gives the chocolate more sheen, firmer "snap" when broken, and a creamy mellow flavor.

The term "couverture chocolate" should not be confused with "confectionery chocolate", "compound chocolate" or "summer coating": These products have a lower percentage of solids (cacao), and they may also contain vegetable oil, hydrogenated fats ("trans fats"), coconut and/or palm oil, and sometimes artificial chocolate flavoring.

Couverture chocolate is generally not mixed in with an excess of other ingredients, because of the high price and quality; it is designed to stand alone as an ingredient. It can also be used to prepare chocolate shells, glossy coatings for cakes, and so forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment