A partial photo op, of a Mexican Chocolate Cake that I baked and decorated. I have never tasted this before, and a customer requested. OMG! This was absolutely delicious. Chocolate with a kick! I smoothed buttercream icing, and added fondant. I added a gumpaste flower as a finishing touch.
Here is the recipe:
Mexican Chocolate Cake (Makes 12 servings)
- 1(18 1/4 ounce) chocolate cake mix, prepared according to package directions
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Stir the cinnamon, ground red pepper, and balsamic vinegar into the cake batter then pour into the prepared pan.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let cake cool for 15 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Buttercream Icing (makes 3 cups):
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
- 3 tablespoons water
To turn this into a medium consistency (to ice your cake)for every cup of icing, add 1 teaspoon of water
fondant is optional.